Photo of St. John's Lutheran Church
Excerpt from a press description of the new Church
at the time:
"Special attention has been given to the Chancel.
Sufficent depth is given to produce a Cathedral effect...in a properly
designed Lutheran Church all lines converge to the Altar. Ample room has
been provided for this purpose and the beauty of effect which it will be
able to secure will only be limited by the financial strength of the Parish."
|About St. John's
From '50th Anniversary Booklet 1903-1953',
Courtesy from Phil Skabeikis member of the Richmond Hill Historical Society,
Friend of the Richmond Hill Library, and the Sacred
Music Chorale of Richmond Hill at St. John's Lutheran Church.
St. John's Lutheran Church is still located at 86-20 114th Street,
Richmond Hill, NY
It began shortly after the turn of the nineteenth century. A Long Island
countryside was rapidly taking on the character of a suburban community
and a little group of Missionary-minded Pastors in Brooklyn saw an opportunity.
Early in 1903 an intial meeting was held to consider the founding of an
English Lutheran Church in Richmond Hill. The will was mother to the act
and on May 27th of that same year 56 people assembled in the old Arcanum
Hall on Jamaica Ave. and 116th Street and officially organized the Congregation.
It was to be a full year after organization before St. John's was to
welcome her first regular Pastor. In June of 1904 the Reverend Allen Luther
Banner, having recently graduated from the Lutheran Theological Seminary
in Philadelphia, accepted the call of the new congregation. Under his guidance
the Congregation proceeded immediately with plans for establishing a permanent
House of Worship. Accordingly, within a year, the present day site was
secured and on September 2nd, 1906 the Congregation experienced the joy
of worshipping for the first time in the basement of the Church Home that
was yet to be. The full realization of this early goal came on April 7th,
1907 with the dedication of the completed structure. Saint John's was on
her way, bidding fair to fulfill the prophecy of one of the Dedication
speakers that "this Church is destined to become one of the strongest and
most effectual Congregations in all Queens."
On May 27th, 1923 the Congregation celebrated its 20th Anniversay by
Laying the Cornerstone for the new Church and on October 26th of the same
year, the completed and beautifully designed Gothic structure was Dedicated.