of Triangle Hofbrau |
Lefferts Farm Cottage |
& 118th St |
About the Richmond
Illustraion of Doyle's Triangle
Hotel (Triangle Hofbrau)
September 29, 1868 Charles Paulson, a wealthy Englishman, purchased from
Eldert Bergen, a farmer, a triangular plot of land for $500. It was located
at the western end of Bergen's farm and was bounded on the west by lands
of John Leffert, on the north by the Myrtle Avenue Plank Road (Myrtle Ave.)
and on the south by the Brooklyn and Jamaica Turnpike. It came to an apex
where Jamaica and Myrtle Avenue met. It measured 162.5 feet on Jamaica
Avenue, 177.5 feet on Myrtle Avenue and 85 feet on the western boundary.
Take note of the electric trolley in lower left corner and the LIRR train
on Myrtle Ave.
Back to Top
Illustraion of Office & Residence of Dr. W. C. Fiske (Lefferts Farm Cottage)
from Long Island Railroad's Poster- "Points of Interest" in Richmond Hill circa 1890's
Although the original exterior has been modified over the years, this house was the original "Lefferts Farm Cottage" which belonged to the Lefferts Family who owned the Lefferts Farm which was part of the land that Albon Man would purchase from to develop Richmond Hill. This was perhaps one of the rarest structures to have been already built before Richmond Hill was developed. Maybe due to sentimental or practical reasons, Albon Man rather than knocking down the structure instead relocated the "cottage" from its original location which was Plank Road and Oak Street (Jamaica Avenue and 115th Street) to 115th Street between Jamaica and 86th Avenues where it still exists today. The original location on Plank Road would give way to a major thoroughfare connecting Long Island and Manhattan now known as Jamaica Avenue. The large barn was in the back on 114th Street but what was later removed to make way for PS 56. In the illustration you'll notice a semi-circle arch of bushes that leads to the entrance up to the stairs. This little unique entrance is still there today.